About the Vanuatu National Statistics Office
VISION, MISSION, VALUES
The vision of our organisation is a country where the population and the government have access to quality statistics, so they are able to make informed decisions for a just, educated, healthy and wealthy Vanuatu. The vision is:
Leading evidence based decision making for all.
Connecting statistics with the people of Vanuatu.
The VNSO will further strengthen its production of official statistics, extend its influence, and continue to raise its visibility and reputation as one of the leading national statistics offices in the Pacific 2020.
Our mission is to provide quality and timely information through the collection, compilation and analysis of information throughout Vanuatu. VNSO will set standards across the national statistical system to inform policy at the province, national and regional levels through statistics.
The VNSO is committed to providing high quality, reliable and timely statistical data and information to assist the government and the community to make better informed decisions. The VNSO has to respond to the needs of its users by providing statistics to meet emerging needs, particularly for social trends and the state of the physical environment. To perform well the VNSO has to build and maintain good relationships with key providers of information and the users of that information.
The VNSOs values reflect the guiding principles and behaviours of the office:
- Timeliness The VNSO publications schedule and catalogue of release dates of special publications continues to provide the foundation for the timely release of statistical information.
- Data quality Challenges remain across the national statistical system to improve the quality of official statistics and progress has been made in providing more information about the statistics VNSO releases and improving data collection and compilation systems.
- Building capacity VNSO staffs need to have the technical skills to produce the statistics while responding to the needs of users for information to help them in their activities. VNSO has a number of internal training programs to develop the skills of staff and encourages staff to improve their skills through regional and international training.
- Dissemination VNSO will continue to improve its internet website for statistics and its staff will work at the province and national level to assist informed planning and decision making. The series of workshops developed around the outputs from the 2009 Census have given staff experience and exposure to presenting statistics at the community level and this initiative will continue with the results of other major data collections.
- Leadership VNSO will strengthen its role as the leader of a well-coordinated national statistical system with a development strategy for statistics over the next 15 years.
Vanuatu National Statistics Office
Private Mail Bag 9019
Phone: +678 22110/22111