Quarterly Statistical Indicators (QSI) For September Quarter 2016
- In September quarter 2016, the quantity of copra exports stood at 9,114 tonnes, representing an increase of 51% or 3,082 tonnes over September quarter 2015.
- In value terms, copra exports increased by 30% or VT 108 million when compared to VT 361 million in September quarter 2015. Copra export receipts constituted 36% share of the total domestic exports in value for September quarter 2016.
Coconut Oil Export
- In September quarter 2016, the quantity of coconut oil exports stood at 1,380 tonnes, showing a decrease by 15% or 251 tonnes compared to 1,631 tonnes over September quarter of 2015.
Coconut oil exports in value terms stood at VT 138 million in September quarter 2016, showing a decrease of 15% or VT 23 million compared to VT 161 million in September quarter 2015.
Despite the decrease in value and quantity of the coconut oil, the average export price showed a slight increase of 1% in September quarter 2016 compared to the same quarter of the previous year.
Coconut oil receipts constituted 11% of total domestic export value in September quarter 2016.
The quantity of cocoa exports rose by 62% or 166 tonnes in September quarter of 2016 to 437 tonnes when compared to the same period in 2015.
In value terms, cocoa exports in September quarter 2016 stood at VT 127 million, recording an increase of 75% or VT 54 million. The increase was reflected by the average cocoa export price at 8%in September quarter 2015.
Cocoa exports share of the total domestic exports value constituted 10% in September quarter 2016.
- Beef exports decreased by 28% in quantity from 140 to 102 tonnes, in September quarter 2016 over September quarter 2015.
In value terms, beef exports decreased by 17% or VT 12 million over September quarter 2015 and 55% or VT 66 million over the previous quarter.
The implied average beef export price increased by 14% over the September quarter of 2015. However, it recorded a slight decrease of 1% over the previous quarter.
- Beef exports value constituted 4% of the total domestic exports receipts in September quarter 2016.
- The seasonally adjusted visitor arrivals depicted an increase of visitors by air for September quarter 2016 while day visitors declined.
Visitor arrivals by air made up 41% of all international visitors to Vanuatu with a total of 29,841 visitors in September quarter 2016, indicating an increase of 8% over same period in 2015, also increased by 42% over the previous quarter.
Australian visitors accounted for 53% of all visitor arrivals by air in September quarter 2016.
In September quarter 2016, countries that recorded an increase over corresponding quarter of 2015 were; Japan at 50%, Europe at 40%, New Caledonia at 26%, other pacific countries at 19%, China at 18%, Australia at 13%, other countries at 12% and North America at 11% while New Zealand recorded a decline of (-25%).
Holiday visitors made up 75% of visitors by air; visitors who arrived to visit friends and relatives and visitors on business, meetings or conferences at 9% each, visitors on other purposes at 8% and visitors on transit at 1%.
Day visitors made up 59% of total international visitors to Vanuatu in September quarter 2016. It showed a decrease of (-6%) over the corresponding quarter of 2015 while it increased by 1% over the previous quarter. The decrease was attributed by a fall in the number of cruise ships to Vanuatu in September quarter 2016.
Consumer Price Index
- The Consumer Price Index (CPI) of September 2016 indicated a slight increase of (0.9 %). Port Vila dramatically increased by (1.2%), while Luganville index decreased by (-0.5%) compared to the previous quarter. When compared to the September quarter of 2015, the Vanuatu index increased by (1.9 %), Port Vila index at (2.2%) and Luganvillie index (1.1%).
At national level, the expenditure groups that contributed to the increase over the same quarter of last year were: Food (+5.7%), Education (+4.7%), and Transport (+3.1). Thus, the increases in these expenditure groups were the result of increases in price movements of Fruits and Vegetables, school fees, and purchasing of new motor vehicle. However, the other groups that shows negative impact were Clothing and Footwear (-3.6%), Housing Utilities (-2.8%), Miscellaneous (-0.9%), Communication (-0.6%), Health and drinks and tobacco at (-0.1%) respectively.
- In September quarter 2016, the total government revenue stood at VT 5,724.1 million comprising 82.4% recurrent taxes while grants received from abroad made up the remaining 17.6%. The total revenue increased over the corresponding quarter of 2015, while it showed a decrease of -11% over the previous quarter.
Total government expenditure for the September quarter 2016 increased by 5.2% over the corresponding quarter in 2015.